Meet Our Board Members
The entire Halifax Forum Complex is municipally owned, but it is operated by management and staff who report to the Board of Directors called the Halifax Forum Community Association.
Halifax Forum Community Association
Expression of Interest for Board Member
(Volunteer, 2-year term with maximum 3 terms)
The Halifax Forum was originally built in 1927 and is now a registered Heritage Property owned by HRM. The operation of this multi building complex has been entrusted to the Halifax Forum Community Association guided by a management agreement and partnership with the municipality. The Halifax Forum Community Association is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive community facility for a cross-section of recreation, entertainment, arts, business, cultural and community-based events. We provide facilities that are safe, fun, and versatile, which enables us to create opportunities for young people, adults, and seniors through individual, group and team activities. The Halifax Forum is a vital civic facility for the residents of HRM and is committed to being financially responsible and efficiently managed. To our HRM community, the Halifax Forum is more than just a rink.
The Halifax Forum Community Association is seeking three new volunteer members. The Board currently meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month (excluding July and August unless necessary) at 12:00 pm.
The Board is composed of:
- Councillor for District 8
- A maximum of 14 public members
- 1 non-voting staff member from HRM Parks, Recreation and Communities
The successful candidates should have:
- The ability to fully devote the required time (4-5 hours per month) to Board meetings, pre meeting preparation and to serve on sub or ad hoc committees as needed.
- An interest in the future operation and utilization of the Forum complex
- An interest in community development demonstrated thorough community involvement.
- An interest in governance and the ability to direct policy.
- A range of skills or experience in areas such as fundraising, accounting, facility management, event planning, the non-profit sector, human resources, law, policy development, contracting, marketing, diversity and inclusion and amateur sport.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the programs and activities of the facility
- A vision for the complex as we move forward.
- The application should include the following attachments:
- a letter of intent
- a resume
Deadline for applications is Friday, March 10th 2023 by 4:00pm.
The Nomination Committee will be reviewing all applications. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted further. There will be no appeal process, or any information shared about applicants.
Board Member application form can be found here.
The Forum is still in amazing shape after 93 years of use and it is credited to the dedicated volunteers of the Halifax Forum Community Association. These community members and municipal representatives have given their valuable time and management expertise to help guide the managers of the Forum through many varied situations and decision making.